Conway in Orange County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Citrus Industry and Red Hill Groves/Conway School
Citrus Industry and Red Hill Groves
Cattle ranches and turpentine stills filled the Conway landscape in the late nineteenth century, but it was the citrus industry that would predominate in most of the twentieth century. For miles, neat rows of orange, grapefruit, and tangerine trees lined the agricultural area. That all changed in the 1980's as a result of successive devastating freezes in the growing seasons of 1983/84 and 1984/85, followed by the discovery of the deadly disease, citrus canker. The final hard freeze in 1989 wiped out most of the remaining citrus in Conway with the exception of the Red Hill Groves Packinghouse which was established in 1962 by the Conoley Family on the original site of Conway Elementary School. Following devastating Hurricane Charley in 2004, the State tried to prevent citrus canker by the mandatory removal of all citrus trees in the area. That was the end of commercial citrus in Conway.
Conway School began in 1875 as Prospect School and was affiliated with the Prospect Methodist-Episcopal Church that late became the Conway Methodist Church. The name Conway first appeared in 1884 when the school was located on Conway Road near Trentonian Court. The school was a two-room building that accommodated grades one through five
Erected by Richard T. Crotty, Mayor-Linda A. Stewart, Commissioner District 4-Orange County Board of County Commissioners.
Location. 28° 29.878′ N, 81° 19.841′ W. Marker is in Conway, Florida, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of South Conway Road (State Road 15) and Trentonian Court, on the right when traveling north on South Conway Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3725 South Conway Road, Orlando FL 32812, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Conway First Baptist Church/Fort Gatlin (approx. ¼ mile away); Conway United Methodist Church/Brick Road (approx. ¼ mile away); The English Colony/The Polo Club (approx. half a mile away); St. Mary's Missionary Baptist Church/Datson Dairy Fort Gatlin 1838 (approx. 2.2 miles away); Site of Fort Gatlin (approx. 2.2 miles away); Site and Home of Francis Eppes (approx. 2.6 miles away); 1972 B-52 Crash (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Conway.
Categories. • Agriculture • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 26, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 26, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.