Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Campeche in Municipality of Campeche, Mexico — The Southeast (Yucatan Peninsula)
 

Independence Square

 
 
Independence Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 10, 2017
1. Independence Square Marker
Inscription.
Plaza de la Independencia
En 1540 al ser fundada la villa de San Francisco de Campeche, se habilitó este espacio que fungiría como Plaza de Armas, siguiendo los patrones coloniales de la época.

En torno a ella se fueron construyendo los edificios más sobresalientes como la Iglesia parroquial, la Aduana, el Principal, el Cabildo. Así como las casas-habitación de los vecinos más importantes de la villa. A partir de 1821 se le dio el nombre de Plaza de la Independencia.

Entre 1979 y 1985 fue remodelada, se le añadió el quiosco y se enrejó, así como accesos en cada esquina y en el centro de cada lado que lo flanquea. Estos están compuestos por pilares con relieves geométricos y jarrones como remate.

English:
Independence Square
In 1540 upon the founding of the village of San Francisco de Campeche, this space was made available to be used as the parade ground, following the colonial patterns of the times. Around it were built the most distinguished buildings such as the Parish Church, the Customs Office, the Main building and the Town Hall, as well as the individual dwellings of the most important people of the village. In 1821, it was given the name of Independence Square.

Between 1979 and 1985 it was remodeled and gated and the kiosk was added, along with the entrances at
Independence Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 10, 2017
2. Independence Square Marker
each corner and in the center of each surrounding side. The entrances are composed of pillars in geometric relief crowned with vases.
 
Location. 19° 50.736′ N, 90° 32.211′ W. Marker is in Campeche, Campeche, in Municipality of Campeche. Marker is on Calle 10, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 Calle 10, Campeche 24000, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pedro Sainz de Baranda y Borreyro (within shouting distance of this marker); "La Española" Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Birthplace of Justo Sierra Méndez (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Palace" Cultural Center (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Bastion of Our Lady of Solitude (about 120 meters away); Campeche Library (about 120 meters away); Temple of the Sweet Name of Jesus (about 120 meters away); Gate to the Sea (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Campeche.
 
Categories. Colonial EraMan-Made Features
 
Independence Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 10, 2017
3. Independence Square Marker
The kiosk mentioned in the marker text can be seen in the background in this view to the north.
The Campeche Cathedral image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 10, 2017
4. The Campeche Cathedral
The "parish church" mentioned on the marker is now the Cathedral of Campeche.
Interior of the Campeche Cathedral image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 10, 2017
5. Interior of the Campeche Cathedral
The Campeche Cathedral seen at night. image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 20, 2017
6. The Campeche Cathedral seen at night.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 28, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 197 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 28, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   6. submitted on April 23, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement