Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Peninsula Campaign

 
 
Peninsula Campaign Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
1. Peninsula Campaign Marker
Inscription. During the Peninsula Campaign of 1862, both Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston and Union Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan had their armies west toward Richmond on this road. Johnston evacuated Yorktown on 3-4 May and withdrew up the Peninsula, with McClellan in pursuit. On 5 May, two Federal divisions clashed with the Confederate rear guard east of Williamsburg in a bloody but indecisive battle. Johnstonís army continued its march west and on 6-7 May eluded McClellanís forces at Ethamís Landing on the York River opposite West Point. By mid-month the Confederates were secure behind the Richmond defenses.
 
Erected 1998 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number W 37.)
 
Location. 37° 15.847′ N, 76° 40.707′ W. Marker is in Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker is at the intersection of Pocahontas Trail (U.S. 60) and Avon Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Pocahontas Trail. Touch for map. The marker is in front of the Fort Magruder Hotel and Conference Center. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quarterpath Road (here, next to this marker); History of Fort Magruder
Williamsburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
2. Williamsburg Marker
(about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Williamsburg (approx. 0.3 miles away); Magruderís Defenses (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Williamsburg (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Quarterpath Road (approx. half a mile away); Vineyard Tract (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Magruder (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
 
Also see . . .  The Peninsula Campaign of 1862. (Submitted on August 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Peninsula Campaign Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
3. Peninsula Campaign Marker
The marker is located several miles south of Colonial Williamsburg.
Remains of Fort Magruder image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
4. Remains of Fort Magruder
These earthworks, used during the Peninsula Campaign, are located a short distance from the marker on the grounds of the Fort Magruder Hotel.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,074 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement