Phenix City in Russell County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Coweta: Center for International Diplomacy
—Creek Heritage Trail —
Owing to Coweta's position of importance among Lower Creek towns, European colonial representatives frequently visited the town throughout the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Perhaps the most celebrated visit by European dignitaries to Coweta took place in the summer of 1739, when James Oglethorpe arrived at the village to obtain the blessings of the Creeks to establish the colony of Georgia. His visit culminated in the signing of the Treaty of Coweta, by which the Creeks formally ceded land to Georgia and allied themselves with the British.
After establishing themselves on the Atlantic coast of Florida by the late 1500s, the Spanish began to move steadily westward and northward in the 1600s. By the early 1680s, they had even built a fort near what is now Phenix City and were in regular communication with Coweta. The English, after establishing a presence at Charleston in 1670, began to move southward and westward into the Southern backcountry at about the same time. Traders from Charleston are known to have been visiting Coweta by the 1680s if not earlier. The French, last to enter the Chattahoochee Valley's colonial scene, set up on the Gulf Coast in 1699. Their representatives were in communication with residents of the Valley, including those at Coweta, by the 1720s.
Left middle: Depiction of
Courtesy of the Library of Congress
Left bottom: 1.) These trade items on display at the Columbus Museum were discovered through archaeological investigations. From left to right: Trade beads, hatchet, knife blades, hoe, buckles, French flintlock pistol, British sword hilt.
Courtesy of the Columbus Museum.
2.) Reproduction trade goods on display at the Columbus Museum.
Courtesy of the Columbus Museum
Right middle: A monument commemorating Woodward's important role in establishing trade connections between South Carolina and southern Native American groups stands at The Arsenal in Beaufort, South Carolina.
Courtesy of Alex Marsh
Right middle bottom: Reenactors depicting Spanish soldiers in uniforms similar to those worn at the time of Fort Apalachicola's construction.
Courtesy of Carlos Matteo
Right insert: The arrival of a colorful character named Henry Woodward in 1685 first placed Coweta at the center of international economic and political intrigue. Woodward, an English trader from the Charleston area, visited the Chattahoochee Valley and soon secured a friendly economic relationship with the Creek towns near Coweta. When Spanish authorities in Florida who claimed the region, learned of his efforts, they immediately sent a military force of soldiers and Apalachee warriors to arrest the Englishman. Although they failed to capture him, perhaps because the Creeks notified him of their approach, the Spanish eventually ordered the burning of Coweta and several other Creek towns as a warning not to trade with the English. Determined to follow their own course, however, the Creeks continued to trade with them. Preferring the relative abundance, variety and high quality of English trade goods to the meager offerings of the undersupplied Spanish traders and desiring to not be caught in the crossfire between European rivals, many Creeks in the Chattahoochee Valley soon decided to leave the area and move closer to the English on the Atlantic coast. Exactly how many towns and what portions of them made the move will perhaps never be known, but most historians of the period agree that some large-level eastward movement occurred around 1690 that would not be reversed for twenty-five years.
Erected 2015 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, WestRock, The University of Alabama Center for Economic Development and the Muscogee (Creek) Nation.
Location. 32° 27.889′ N, 84° 59.942′ W. Marker is in Phenix City, Alabama, in Russell County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Dillingham Street and Brickyard Road (Route 61). Touch for map. Located on the north side of the Phenix City Amphitheater, along the Chattahoochee Riverwalk. Marker is at or near this postal address: 508 Dillingham Street, Phenix City AL 36867, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Creek Town of Coweta (here, next to this marker); "Emperor" Brims, Mary Musgrove and Chief William McIntosh (here, next to this marker); Coweta and Northeastern Russell County: (here, next to this marker); Six Indians Hanged (here, next to this marker); POW ✯ MIA Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederates Set Fire To Lower Bridge (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Military Service Walk (about 700 feet away in Georgia); Horace King (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Phenix City.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 7, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 140 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 7, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.