Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
which centered on Columbus, began when
a group of Indians revolted rather
than move from East Alabama to
Oklahoma they attacked travelers and
settlers and threatened Columbus.
State militia and Federal troops
finally subdued them. Volunteers
from this area fought for Texas
Independence in the 1830s. During
the next decade the Columbus Guards
and two other local companies
participated in the Mexican War.
Location. 32° 27.401′ N, 84° 59.707′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker can be reached from Front Avenue south of West 6th Avenue. Located between the railroad tracks and the Chattahoochee Riverwalk (below). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Front Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Boats (here, next to this marker); Confederate Supply (here, next to this marker); Battle of Columbus Horace King (1807 - 1887) (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Greene Bethune (within shouting distance of this marker); Gertrude "Ma" Rainey (within shouting distance of this marker); Soft Drinks (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mass - Produced Ice Machines (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Creek War of 1836 and the Trail of Tears. (Submitted on February 20, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Native Americans • War, Mexican-American • War, Texas Independence • Wars, US Indian •
More. Search the internet for Frontier Wars.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 20, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.