Delaware & Hudson Gravity Railroad Coal Wagon
This coal wagon is a full sized replica of the wagon used on the D&H Gravity Railroad to transport anthracite coal from Carbondale to Honesdale from 1828 until 1898. The loaded wagons traveled a distance of 15.5 miles. The empty wagons travelled a distance of 21 miles returning to Carbondale. The wagons were linked together in groups of three to five. They were hooked or unhooked to the cables by men called "Trippers." The wagons were 12 feet long, 4 feet wide and stood eight feet high; they each carried between two to three tons of coal.
After the Gravity [Railroad] and Canal closed, 4012 wagons were destroyed by fire to reclaim the metal fittings in 1899 and 605 wagons in 1900 - not one remained. During the early years up to 100,000 tons of coal was moved over the mountain each year - in later years over one million tons were transported annually.
Erected by Concerned Citizens and Organizations.
Location. 41° 34.278′ N, 75° 15.361′ W. Marker is in Honesdale, Pennsylvania, in Wayne County. Touch for map. Coal wagon and marker are adjacent to the Chamber of Commerce. Marker is at or near this postal address: 32 Commercial Street, Honesdale PA 18431, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
Also see . . .
1. The Delaware and Hudson (D&H) Canal & Gravity Railroad. (Submitted on February 27, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Delaware and Hudson Gravity Railroad. (Submitted on February 27, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Environment • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 132 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 27, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.