Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Janney Foundry Co.
by this foundry to the
1861 — 1865
Erected by Sophie Bibb Chapter U.D.C.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 32° 22.995′ N, 86° 18.539′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of North Court Street and Randolph Street, on the right when traveling north on North Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 520 North Court Street, Montgomery AL 36104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Military Prison / Civil War Military Prisons (approx. 0.2 miles away); General Charles Graham Boyd (approx. 0.2 miles away); Montgomery and Electricity / Hydroelectricity in the River Region (approx. ¼ mile away); Murphy House (approx. ¼ mile away); St. John's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Major Charles W. Davis, Infantry United States Army / "Above and Beyond" Bernard Whitehurst and the Whitehurst Case / Montgomery: Learning From the Past (approx. ¼ mile away); Elijah Cook / City of Montgomery v. Rosa Parks (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
Regarding Janney Foundry Co.. The foundry was owned by industrialist Alfred A. Janney, and produced ordnance for the Confederacy along with various castings, sheet metal and ornamental ironwork. This foundry was burnt by Union troops invading Montgomery on April 12,1865. Janney also built the Janney Furnace in Calhoun County in 1863.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 118 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.