Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Smyrna Beach in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Gabordy Canal

 
 
The Gabordy Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, March 4, 2017
1. The Gabordy Canal Marker
Inscription. The Gabordy Canal, also known as the South Canal, was built by colonists brought to the New Smyrna area in 1768 by the Scottish physician, Dr. Andrew Turnbull. As part of the largest single attempt at British colonization, New Smyrna attracted more than 1,400 Minorcans, Corsicans, Greeks, and Italians who sought new opportunities as indentured servants. Turnbull, impressed by the Egyptian canal system, wanted to replicate it in New Smyrna. Three canals, including this one, ran east-west and were linked with a fourth, longer canal that ran north-south. These hand dug canals provided irrigation and drainage for rice, hemp, cotton, and indigo crops grown by the colonists, and served as a mode of transportation within the colony. Local historians believe that the Gabordy Canal was named after the Gabardis, an original colonist family who lived in the vicinity of the canal. After nine years of harsh treatment, drought, and crop failures, the population was reduced to about 600 people. A group of colonists petitioned English Governor James Grant of St. Augustine in 1777 for release from their indenture. The governor granted land north of St. Augustine to these colonists.
 
Erected 2016 by The City of New Smyrna Beach, the Historic New Smyrna Beach Preservation Commission, Mayor James Hathaway, Vice
The Gabordy Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, March 4, 2017
2. The Gabordy Canal Marker
Looking south on Riverside Dr.
Mayor Judy Reiker, Commissioner Jake Sachs, Commissioner Jason McQuirk, Commissioner Kirk Jones, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-924.)
 
Location. 29° 0.325′ N, 80° 54.695′ W. Marker is in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker is at the intersection of South Riverside Drive and Hamilton Road, on the right when traveling north on South Riverside Drive. Touch for map. The Garbordy Canal is the dividing line between New Smyrna Beach and Edgewater. Marker is in this post office area: New Smyrna Beach FL 32168, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Old Stone Wharf (approx. 1.1 miles away); The New Smyrna Odyssey (approx. 1.4 miles away); Turnbull Canal (approx. 1 miles away); 1768 British Colony of New Smyrna (approx. 1.6 miles away); Anniversary of Shelling by Union Gunboats (approx. 1.6 miles away); Dr. Andrew Turnbull (approx. 1.6 miles away); To the Past... (approx. 1.6 miles away); Site of Sheldon's New Smyrna Hotel (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Smyrna Beach.
 
Categories. Colonial EraMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
The Gabordy Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, March 4, 2017
3. The Gabordy Canal Marker
Looking north on Riverside Dr.
The Gabordy Canal image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, March 4, 2017
4. The Gabordy Canal
Looking east toward Indian River
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 5, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 107 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 5, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement