Covington in Kenton County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
First City Hall
Covington's first permanent city hall erected on this site in 1843: one of the first in the entire Ohio Valley. During Republican State Convention in 1860, fiery emancipationist Cassius M. Clay spoke here. Almost eighty years later, on June 3, 1938 (in the courtyard of later city hall), Kentucky's last execution by hanging took place.
(over) City Hall doubled as a hospital in 1848 for returning Mexican War veterans. It was site of many antislavery meetings. This prominent nineteenth-century social and political center also served as the location for pro-Union military and political activities during the Civil War.
Erected 1990 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1862.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 39° 5.33′ N, 84° 30.491′ W. Marker is in Covington, Kentucky, in Kenton County. Marker is at the intersection of Roebling Way (Kentucky Route 17) and Greenup Street, on the right when traveling north on Roebling Way. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Covington KY 41011, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Covington Blue Sox (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); John A. Roebling Bridge (about 600 feet away); Daniel Carter Beard (about 700 feet away); Roebling Suspension Bridge (about 800 feet away); Civil War Fortifications (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kennedy House (approx. 0.2 miles away); George and Ruth Kohlbran Fountain (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ben Lucien Burman (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Covington.
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • Charity & Public Work • Politics • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 7, 2017, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. This page has been viewed 146 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 7, 2017, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.