Seward in Seward County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Seward, 4th of July City
Since 1868, Seward has, with but few interruptions, sponsored a yearly 4th of July celebration which has gained national attention. This square, the original site of the festival, is today its focal point. Special trains once brought revelers here on the Fourth; today tens of thousands arrive by auto. With community young people having provided impetus for the celebration, Governor Exon in 1973 designated Seward “Nebraska’s Official 4th of July City.” In 1976 American Revolution Bicentennial officials cited Seward for its patriotic observances.
Named Greene in 1858, this county was re-christened in 1862 for Civil War Secretary of State William H. Seward. Platted in 1868, the city of Seward became the county seat in 1871. It is located at the confluence of the Big Blue River, Plum Creek, and Lincoln Creek. The Neo-classical Revival Courthouse was built in 1905 under supervision of architect George Berlinghof. Early farmers first settled the area, but beginning in the 1870’s the population became infused with German and Czech elements. The fertile countryside is a diversified farming and livestock feeding area. Concordia Teachers College was established in Seward in 1894.
City of Seward
Seward 4th of July Committee
Nebraska State Historical Society
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 54.422′ N, 97° 5.933′ W. Marker is in Seward, Nebraska, in Seward County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 34 and South 6th Street, on the left when traveling east on U.S. 34. Touch for map. Marker is located at the south west corner of courthouse square, on the grounds of the Seward County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Seward NE 68434, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Plum Creek Prairie Historic Site (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Big Blue River (approx. 6.3 miles away); Purple Heart Trail (approx. 6.3 miles away); Tall Grass Prairie (approx. 6.3 miles away); Historic Milford (approx. 9.6 miles away); The Beaver Crossing Mill (approx. 13 miles away); Beaver Crossing, Nebraska (approx. 13 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. History of Seward.
In 1865, Mr. Lewis Moffitt, pioneer and founder of the City of Seward, purchased some choice land. He built a two‑room cabin for his family, which then served as a meeting place and lodging for newcomers. On April 1, 1867, the City of (Submitted on March 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Seward -- Seward County.
Moffitt's sizable estate provided the catalyst needed for building "a proper courthouse" in 1905. During this spree, Seward added a city hall, a larger high school, and many churches and homes. In 1909, after frozen ruts made the streets impassible, George Thomas pushed for brick paving, and the ground-swell of community pride raised matching funds for a Carnegie Library and a YMCA. (Submitted on March 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Man-Made Features • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.