Barkhamsted in Litchfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village
A Connecticut State Archaeological Preserve
James and Molly had eight children, seven of whom lived to adulthood, six of whom married and had children of their own, who also remained here as the village grew.
People of African and European origin, as well as Native Americans, moved into what became a thriving multiethnic and multicultural village here on the side of Ragged Mountain in Barkhamsted.
Til Ellwell, born in 1849, was James’ and Molly’s great, great granddaughter. She lived in the village until the mid-1850’s.
The Barkhamsted town clerk recorded the birth of a baby girl on May 14, 1858. Her place of residence was listed as “Barkhamsted Light House.”
Erected by Barkhamsted Historical Society and Farmington River Coordinating Committee.
Location. 41° 56.559′ N, 73° 0.438′ W. Marker is in Barkhamsted, Connecticut, in Litchfield County. Touch for map. The marker is located at the trailhead for the Lighthouse and Jessie Girard Trails. Marker is in this post office area: Barkhamsted CT 06063, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Peoples State Forest (a few steps from this marker); Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village Cellar Holes (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village Grind Stone (about 300 feet away); Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village Stone Quarry (about 300 feet away); Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village Charcoal Kilns (about 300 feet away); Camp White (approx. ¼ mile away); Henry Robinson Buck (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Barkhamsted.
More about this marker. The Lighthouse Trail is a 0.3 mile loop off the Jessie Girard Trail.
Regarding Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village.
The trail became a winding road, leadiing past an Indian village... and when the stage came through the night, past the Indian cabins...
Nightly came the stage a-creaking on its journey to New Hartford.....“There’s the Light House!” cried
Thus was named the ancient village....by the winding Tunxis River.
From The Legend of the Barkhamsted Lighthouse, by Lewis S. Mills (1952)
Also see . . .
1. Barkhamsted Lighthouse. (Submitted on March 27, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
2. Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village. (Submitted on March 27, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
3. Barkhamsted Historical Society. (Submitted on March 27, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut.)
Categories. • African Americans • Anthropology • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 133 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 27, 2017, by Alan M. Perrie of Unionville, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.