Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Middleburg in Clay County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Middleburg

 
 
Middleburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, April 4, 2017
1. Middleburg Marker
Inscription. Middleburg developed in the early 1800s as a transportation center linking the St. Johns River with the peninsular interior. Originally settled in the 1820s as Clark´s Ferry, a crossing on Black Creek, it became a major military entrepot during the Second Seminole war (1835-1842) with establishment of Ft. Heilman. The Clark-Chalker House dates from that era, when the population reached 800. Served by roads and riverboats, Middleburg gained its name in the 1840s, thrived on the surrounding timber, citrus, and farm economy, and became the first Clay County seat of government in 1858. The United Methodist Church was built in 1847. The 4th Massachusetts Cavalry burned much of the town in 1864. Prosperity returned in the 1870s as river traffic and the citrus industry burgeoned. The population numbered 700 in 1890, before a devastating freeze (1895) and decline of the river trade undermined the local economy. Many houses in the unincorporated town date from the Victorian Era and are found in a historic district listed in the National Register of Historic Places (1990).
 
Erected 1990 by Main Street Preservation Project, Inc. in cooperation with the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-329.)
 
Location. 30° 4.148′ N, 81° 
Middleburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, March 4, 2017
2. Middleburg Marker
51.633′ W. Marker is in Middleburg, Florida, in Clay County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Wharf Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Middleburg FL 32068, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thompson - Chalker Docks (a few steps from this marker); Middleburg Methodist Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Heilman (approx. 0.4 miles away); General Roy Stanley Geiger,United States Marine Corps (approx. 0.8 miles away); Town of Penney Farms 1927 (approx. 6.8 miles away); Camp Chowenwaw (approx. 9.1 miles away); Camp Blanding (approx. 9.6 miles away); Hickory Grove Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 11.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middleburg.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionSettlements & SettlersWar, US CivilWars, US Indian
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 215 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 3, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement