Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
University in Lafayette County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

“Dead House”

 
 
"Dead House" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 8, 2017
1. "Dead House" Marker
Lower plaque reads: Building was removed from this site in 1958.
Inscription. Originally built for use as magnetic observatory. Used as Confederate morgue after Battle of Shiloh in April, 1862. Also used by Gen. U.S. Grant in fall of 1862 and later by forces of Gen. Nathan B. Forrest.
 
Erected 1954 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
 
Location. 34° 22.028′ N, 89° 31.957′ W. Marker is in University, Mississippi, in Lafayette County. Marker is on Sorority Row north of Grove Loop, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located to the west of Farley Hall which houses the "Meek School of Journalism and New Media.". Marker is at or near this postal address: Sorority Row, University MS 38677, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Documenting the Blues (within shouting distance of this marker); Society Of Professional Journalists Historic Site in Journalism (within shouting distance of this marker); Barnard Observatory (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Chapel (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line);
Former location of the "Dead House." image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 8, 2017
2. Former location of the "Dead House."
Ventress Hall (about 800 feet away); Lyceum — The Circle Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); To Our Confederate Dead (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lyceum (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in University.
 
More about this marker. The University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) adjoins the City of Oxford.
 
Regarding "Dead House". It is believed that the bodies in the morgue were carried across campus to the Civil War Cemetery, which contains more than 430 grave shafts.
 
Categories. Science & MedicineWar, US Civil
 
Photo of the former Dead House, University of Mississippi. image. Click for full size.
By Public Domain, ca. 1937
3. Photo of the former Dead House, University of Mississippi.
Gen. U.S. Grant & Gen. Nathan B. Forrest image. Click for full size.
By Public Domain
4. Gen. U.S. Grant & Gen. Nathan B. Forrest
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 11, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 165 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 11, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.   4. submitted on April 13, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement