Tupelo in Lee County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
In Commemoration of Hernando De Soto
Hernando De Soto
and his men who spent the winter of
1540 — 1541
in North East Mississippi prior to his
discovery of the Mississippi River
Erected 1923 by the Colonial Dames of America in Mississippi.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
Location. 34° 15.437′ N, 88° 42.515′ W. Marker is in Tupelo, Mississippi, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and South Church Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 431 Main Street, Tupelo MS 38804, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tupelo Baptist Church / Kind Treatment for the Wounded (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lee County Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Younger Cabin / Confederate Headquarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tupelo Confederate Soldiers Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sit-Ins Led to Civil Rights Act of 1964 / F.W. Woolworth Tupelo Hardware (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Iron Furnace / Front Street (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Dixie Belle Theater / The March of Discontent (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tupelo.
Also see . . . The De Soto expedition. (Submitted on April 14, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Exploration • Notable Persons • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 14, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 144 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 14, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.