Junction in Kimble County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Major William Addison Spencer
Born in Tennessee in 1840, William Addison Spencer came to Texas with his family at the age of eight. He grew up southeast of San Antonio and served in the Civil War, attaining the rank of major. He later moved west to this area. He wed Caroline Hepzibeth Taylor (d. 1920), and seven children were born to the union. Spencer served as a frontier ranger, and two years after the formation of Kimble County became county clerk. When the sheriff resigned following an 1884 fire that destroyed the courthouse, voters elected Spencer to that office. In 1890 he became county judge and served five non-consecutive terms. He died in 1922, leaving a legacy of vital early service to his adopted county. (2005)
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 30° 29.343′ N, 99° 45.974′ W. Marker is in Junction, Texas, in Kimble County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and N. 6th Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Located in front of Kimble County Court House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Main Street, Junction TX 76849, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Sterling Durst (here, next to this marker); Burt M. Fleming Memorial Coke R. Stevenson (a few steps from this marker); Colonel John Griffith (a few steps from this marker); Kimble County Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Kimble County (a few steps from this marker); Kimble County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); O.C. Fisher (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 126 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.