Halethorpe in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Relay House
During the Civil War it was an important transportation hub for the Union Army and many soldiers were stationed here. After the war it was used as a summer resort. The original building was destroyed by fire in 1898. The present house was built in 1899 and was used as a hotel and bar until prohibition. It is now a private residence.
Location. 39° 13.452′ N, 76° 42.653′ W. Marker is in Halethorpe, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is at the intersection of Viaduct Avenue and Soouth Rolling Road, on the left when traveling north on Viaduct Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5174 Viaduct Ave, Halethorpe MD 21227, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. During the Civil War (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Rural Vacation Spot (about 700 feet away); Masterpiece of the Early B&O Railroad The Thomas Viaduct (approx. 0.2 miles away); World War II (approx. 0.3 miles away); Great War (approx. 0.3 miles away); Relay (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elk Ridge Landing (approx. half a mile away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 24, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 327 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 24, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.