Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marietta in Washington County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Lockmasterís House

 
 
Lockmasterís House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 23, 2017
1. Lockmasterís House Marker
Inscription. Built 1899 to serve adjacent locks which replaced those of 1840ís on Harmar side. Locks and dam removed 1968. Muskingum was first canalized U.S. river
 
Erected by the Rotary Club of Marietta, marking a place in history with service since 1921.
 
Location. 39° 24.817′ N, 81° 27.323′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Ohio, in Washington County. Marker is on Front Street south of Putnam Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 243 Front St, Marietta OH 45750, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ohio National Guard Armory (within shouting distance of this marker); Northwest Ordinance Sesquicentennial Columns (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Forty-Eight Pioneers (about 500 feet away); American Union Lodge No. 1, F. & A. M. (about 600 feet away); First Congregational Church (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named First Congregational Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Muskingum Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Memorial to the “Start Westward of the United States” (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
 
Regarding Lockmasterís House.
Lockmasterís House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 23, 2017
2. Lockmasterís House Marker
The Ohio National Guard Armory is in the background. The Lockmasterís House is behind the trees on the right. It is not visible from the street.
The locks and dams of the Muskingum River System allowed for boat travel for goods and passengers from the Ohio River at Marietta past Zanesville and all the way to Dresden in Central Ohio.
 
Also see . . .  Muskingum River. “The new project was known as the Muskingum River Improvement. Construction began in 1836 and was completed in 1841. Improvements consisted of a system of eleven locks and dams that made the Muskingum River navigable from Marietta to a short feeder canal just south of Dresden, Ohio, that connected to the Ohio and Erie Canal. Residents of southeastern Ohio were pleased as the river system now encouraged economic opportunity in the region. The Muskingum River had hand-operated locks that were designed so that a boat could pass through each lock in about fifteen minutes.” (Submitted on May 8, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Waterways & Vessels
 
Lockmasterís House image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 23, 2017
3. Lockmasterís House
The Muskingum River is visible on the right. The building is now home to the Marietta Rowing and Cycling Club.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 117 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 8, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement