Titusville (Hopewell Township) in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Johnson Ferry House
Still referred to as Johnsonís Ferry during the American Revolution (Samuel McKonkey owned the ferry on the Pa. side), it was rented and operated by James Slack and owned by Abraham Harvey. As New Jersey was British occupied on in December of 1776, Hessian patrols from Trenton passed through Johnsonís Ferry frequently for roughly two weeks before the Battle of Trenton. This site was also witness to a small military skirmish on Christmas Eve between 30
Location. 40° 17.977′ N, 74° 52.081′ W. Marker is in Titusville (Hopewell Township), New Jersey, in Mercer County. Touch for map. This marker is in Washington Crossing State Park near the entrance to the house from a parking area reached by a park access road. Marker is in this post office area: Titusville NJ 08560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Continental Lane (a few steps from this marker); Prelude to Victory (within shouting distance of this marker); Spring House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Crossing (about 400 feet away); Retreat and Counterattack – 1776 (about 600 feet away); Ferry Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington Crossing (approx. 0.2 miles away); An Historic Site (was approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Titusville (Hopewell Township).
Categories. • Notable Events • Notable Persons • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,238 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 17, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. 5, 6. submitted on December 14, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.