Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chantilly in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

McAtee's Tavern

 
 
McAtee's Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
June 10, 2017
1. McAtee's Tavern Marker
Inscription. This building’s exterior is a reproduction of a tavern built on this site in 1807 by Harrison McAtee. This location, on a section of the Little River Turnpike that opened in December 1806, was advantageous for farmers conveying goods from western counties to Alexandria. McAtee suffered financially from an economic depression caused by the Panic of 1819. McAtee sold the tavern in 1822. The building was later used as a residence. The Mitchell, Wrenn, and Weeks families were among the subsequent owners. The stone of the chimneys and the log siding on the front porch are original materials.
 
Erected 2017 by Fairfax County History Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Fairfax County History Commission marker series.
 
Location. 38° 53.377′ N, 77° 25.233′ W. Marker is in Chantilly, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on Lee Jackson Memorial Highway (U.S. 50) 0.1 miles east of Chantilly Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker is at the entrance to The Burger Shack of Chantilly, Virginia. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13661 Lee Jackson Memorial Highway, Chantilly VA 20151, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles
McAtee's Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
June 10, 2017
2. McAtee's Tavern Marker
of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salisbury Plain (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonel John Singleton Mosby (approx. one mile away); Chantilly (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Sully Farms (approx. 1.3 miles away); Sully Plantation (approx. 1.4 miles away); Clover Hill (approx. 1.5 miles away); The Cross Farmhouse (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Walney Dairy (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chantilly.
 
More about this marker. Although the marker is dated 2016, it was installed in 2017 and officially unveiled on June 10, 2017.
 
Also see . . .
1. McAtee’s Tavern, Built 1807 (Mitchell/Weeks House). by Debbie Robison December 29, 2012 (Submitted on June 10, 2017.) 

2. Old Marker at this Location. This marker replaced an older one at this location titled “Mitchell-Weeks House”. (Submitted on June 19, 2017.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Stone Chimney image. Click for full size.
June 10, 2017
3. Stone Chimney
Original stones from the 1807 McAtee's Tavern.
Hand Hewn Beams image. Click for full size.
June 10, 2017
4. Hand Hewn Beams
Original logs from the 1807 McAtee's Tavern.
McAtee's Tavern Marker Unveiling image. Click for full size.
June 10, 2017
5. McAtee's Tavern Marker Unveiling
Marker unveiling by McAtee Family descendants of Harrison McAtee. Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Member Kathy L. Smith (Sully District) and Chairman Sharon Bulova (At-Large) on left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 10, 2017. This page has been viewed 129 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 10, 2017. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement