Sister Dorothy Stang SNDdeN (1931- 2005)
Born on June 7, 1931 in Dayton to Edna and Henry Stang, Dorothy Mae was the fourth of nine children. She attended Julienne High School and entered religious life with the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur in 1948. She professed final vows in 1956 and worked as an elementary school teacher in Chicago and Phoenix before beginning her ministry in Brazil in 1966. There, she worked with the Pastoral Land Commission, an organization that fights for the rights of rural workers and peasants, as well as defending land reforms. Over the next forty years, Dorothy continued to live out and share the Gospel, the foundation of her life. In addition to her work supporting land reform, she opened 39 schools, founded 35 faith communities and educated women and helped them obtain viable jobs.
On February 12, 2005, at the age of 73, Dorothy was on her way to meet with Brazilians farmers whose homes had been burned down when two gunmen approached her and killed her as she recited the Beatitudes from the Bible. Her death came less than one week after she had met with Brazilís human rights officials about threats to local farmers from ranchers and logging companies. The effects of Dorothyís work continue to bloom through those whom she has inspired to serve. She believed, “We canít talk about the poor, we
Erected 2015 by Chaminade Julianne Catholic High School The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur Dayton Regional Stem School The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 21-57.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 45.165′ N, 84° 11.686′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Franklin St near South Perry, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 180 Franklin St, Dayton OH 45402, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Roman Column (approx. half a mile away); Abraham Lincoln (approx. half a mile away); "Remember the Promises You Made in the Attic" (approx. half a mile away); Daytonís First Church Bell (approx. half a mile away); Lincoln Takes a Stand (approx. half a mile away); "Justitiae Dedicata" (approx. half a mile away); Victoria Theater (approx. 0.7 miles away); Natalie Clifford Barney (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
Also see . . . Sister Dorothy Stang - Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur (Submitted on June 22, 2017, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Marker is located in front of the gate to the Roger Glass Stadium, on the campus of Chaminade Julianne High School
Additional keywords. The Ohio History Connection
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Civil Rights • Education • Environment •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 20, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.