Hilton Head Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Queen Chapel A.M.E. Church
The congregation of Queen Chapel can trace its roots to May 1865 when A.M.E. missionaries Rev. R.H. Cain, Rev. James H.A. Johnson and James A. Handy arrived on Hilton Head Island. They visited the Freedman’s town of Mitchelville and preached a sermon before departing for Charleston. Missionaries like Cain, Johnson, and Handy represented the first official A.M.E. presence in S.C. since 1822.
Erected 2015 by Beaufort County Historical Society and Queen Chapel A.M.E. Church. (Marker Number 7-55.)
Location. 32° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 Beach City Rd, Hilton Head Island SC 29926, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. African Methodist Episcopal Church Beginnings (within shouting distance of this marker); First African Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named First African Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Story of Fort Howell (approx. half a mile away); The Troops that Built Fort Howell / Camp Baird (approx. half a mile away); General Howell / Captain Suter (approx. half a mile away); Forts of the Civil War Era (approx. half a mile away); Fort Howell - 1864 (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hilton Head Island.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Queen Chapel A.M.E. Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 21, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 131 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 21, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.