Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Spencer in Patrick County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Frontier Fort

 
 
Frontier Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 9, 2017
1. Frontier Fort Marker
Inscription. About three miles north stood Fort Mayo, commanded by Captain Samuel Harris in 1756 and visited in that year by Washington. This fort was the southernmost of the line of stockade forts built from the Potomac River to North Carolina as a frontier defense in the French and Indian War.
 
Erected 1939 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number U-32.)
 
Location. 36° 36.206′ N, 80° 3.257′ W. Marker is near Spencer, Virginia, in Patrick County. Marker is at the intersection of Jeb Stuart Highway (U.S. 58) and Penn Store Road (County Route 629), on the right when traveling east on Jeb Stuart Highway. Touch for map. It is just west of the county line with Henry County. Marker is in this post office area: Spencer VA 24165, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Reynolds Homestead (approx. 5.7 miles away); Colonel Abram Penn (approx. 5.8 miles away); a different marker also named The Reynolds Homestead (approx. 5.9 miles away); Henry County / North Carolina (approx. 9 miles away); William Byrdís Camp (approx.
Frontier Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 9, 2017
2. Frontier Fort Marker
9.3 miles away); Waller's Ford (approx. 9Ĺ miles away); Belleview (approx. 10.7 miles away); Martinsville Speedway (approx. 11.1 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Old Fort Mayo. 1996 essay by O. E. Pilson. “George Washington, then 24 years of age, visited the three Forts in October 1756. He spent at least one night at Fort Mayo and wrote several letters from here, which are yet in existence. He was rather critical of what he saw. After his reports were received at Williamsburg, the Colonial Government decided to permanently garrison only one of the forts. Fort Mayo was the one chosen.” (Submitted on June 21, 2017.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraWar, French and Indian
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 21, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 114 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement