Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Canadian River Breaks in Potter County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Canadian River

 
 
The Canadian River Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 29, 2017
1. The Canadian River Marker
Inscription. A travel route and dwelling site for over 12,000 years, the Canadian River supported stone and adobe Indian villages from the 12th to the 14th Centuries.

This waterway was also one of the first interior rivers of the U.S. known to early explorers. Coronado, coming from Mexico, crossed the Canadian in 1541 in his search for the famed city of Quivira. Juan de Onate, also seeking Quivira, saw the river in 1601. The Canadian traders Pierre and Paul Mallet followed it in 1741. Josiah Gregg, famous Missouri trader, took $25,000 worth of goods to Santa Fe along the river trails in 1839. Gold seekers bound for California were escorted along the trails in 1849 by Army Captain R.B. Marcy.

During its history, the river has borne many names. The origin of the word "Canadian" is disputed. A possible source is the Caddo word "Kanohatino", which means "Red River". Some think it was named by the French-Canadians who traveled it in the 1700s, while others believe the river is called "Canadian" because it rises in a "canyon" (from the Spanish word meaning "boxed-in").

Beginning near the Colorado-New Mexico line in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, the Canadian flows 900 miles. Its course runs southeast, then east until it finally joins the Arkansas 36 miles from Fort Smith.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

 
Erected 1967 by the State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 693.)
 
Location. 35° 28.552′ N, 101° 52.984′ W. Marker is near Canadian
The Canadian River marker is the one on the left. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 29, 2017
2. The Canadian River marker is the one on the left.
Another marker (#2265) with 3 subjects: "Great Spanish Road; First Ranch in Potter County; and "First Store in Potter County" is right beside this marker.
There is another Canadian River marker (#694) on Texas Highway 136, about 40 miles nrotheast of Amarillo.
River Breaks, Texas, in Potter County. Marker is on U.S. 287 0.6 miles north of Canadian River Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located about 15 miles north of Amarillo. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24 US-287, Amarillo TX 79108, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Great Spanish Road / First Ranch in Potter County / First Store in Potter County (here, next to this marker); First Cemetery in Potter County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The _X (LX) First Ranch in Potter County (approx. 1.6 miles away); The United States Topographical Engineers in the High Plains of Texas (approx. 1.6 miles away); First Gas Well in the Panhandle of Texas (approx. 7.7 miles away); Masterson (approx. 11.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia article on the history of the Canadian River. (Submitted on July 2, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. ExplorationIndustry & CommerceNative AmericansWaterways & Vessels
 
View south on US-287 towards the Canadian River, about one-half mile in distance. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 29, 2017
3. View south on US-287 towards the Canadian River, about one-half mile in distance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 75 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 2, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement