Mackinaw City in Cheboygan County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1634 Samuel de Champlain sent Jean Nicolet from Quebec to explore this area and make peace with the Ottawa and Ojibwa Indians. French traders were in the area in 1673, but they left when conflict with the Indians ensued. The French returned in 1715 and established Fort Michilimackinac, which they occupied until the English took over in 1761. The English abandoned the fort in 1781, during the American Revolution, and re-established it at Mackinac Island. In 1857 Edgar Conkling and Asbury Searles platted the present village of Mackinaw City. The village developed commercially with the arrival in 1881 of the Michigan Central Railroad, which terminated here. The Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad arrived here in 1882. Mackinaw City was officially incorporated as a village in December 1883.
This site was the terminus of the Dixie Highway, the Mackinaw Trail, the East Michigan Pike and the West Michigan Pike. The East and West Pikes were mapped out in 1913 as gravel and dirt roads. Concrete construction began in the 1920s. Private auto clubs began making trips on the West Michigan Pike, which extended from Chicago to Mackinaw City, in 1913. The first trip, from St. Joseph to Mackinaw City, marked the beginning of an annual event that continued until 1919. Beginning in 1916 the East Pike
Erected 1987 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1414.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 45° 46.876′ N, 84° 43.509′ W. Marker is in Mackinaw City, Michigan, in Cheboygan County. Marker is at the intersection of North Huron Avenue, on the right when traveling east on North Huron Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is on the north edge of Conkling Heritage Park's marina green at the southeast corner of the intersection of East Central Avenue, Langlade Street, North Huron Avenue, and South Huron Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: Mackinaw City MI 49701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Iron Horse (a few steps from this marker); Chief Wawatam (a few steps from this marker); The Algomah (a few steps from this marker); Mackinaw's Civil War Cannons (within shouting Mackinaw, Mackinac or Michilimackinac? (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dixie Highway (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Mackinaw City (within shouting distance of this marker); Island-Hopping the Straits (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mackinaw City.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.