Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mayflower in Newton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Old Beef Road

 
 
The Old Beef Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, July 4, 2017
1. The Old Beef Road Marker
Inscription. Early 19th Century trade routes across the Sabine River were few, and served all travelers and traders. The Beef Road, which replaced earlier “Zavala Road”, was an important route by 1840, crossing this area. Named for cattle trade, it began in Huntsville and Liberty regions, and ran through Zavala, Jasper, and into present Newton County, where it forked near this site, forming three routes. The northern fork, to Natchitoches, crossed the Sabine at Bevil’s Ferry (later Haddon’s); The middle route, to Alexandria, led to Hickman’s Ferry (later Burr’s); The southern branch, to Opelousas, crossed at New Columbia. The cattle were corralled at night in “beef pens”, located at points along the trails, including Week’s Chapel and Toledo.

During the Civil War, the Beef Road was an important supply artery to the Confederate States, until the Federal Army gained control of the Mississippi River in July 1863. This halted the eastern cattle drives. Sabine River crossings were fortified against attack, as the roads would be a necessity for an invading force, but he expected invasion never came.

Railroad expansion into Kansas, in the late 1860s, diverted the cattle drives to the north, and led to decline of Beef Road as a major cattle trade route.
 
Erected 1973
The Old Beef Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, July 4, 2017
2. The Old Beef Road Marker
by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 11097.)
 
Location. 31° 5.513′ N, 93° 43.551′ W. Marker is in Mayflower, Texas, in Newton County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 87 and County Highway 1100, on the right when traveling south on State Highway 87. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wiergate TX 75977, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mattox Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Survey Community (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cade Building (approx. 7.3 miles away); Fairmount Cemetery (approx. 7.9 miles away); Site of Old Burr’s Ferry (approx. 12.1 miles away).
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 17, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement