Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Helena in Phillips County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Answering a Call for Help

 
 
Answering a Call for Help Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 26, 2017
1. Answering a Call for Help Marker
Inscription. Disease, death, the practice of separating slave families—all left children with no one to care for them. Scores of orphaned black children in Civil War Helena suffered from neglect and exposure. General Napoleon Buford asked for help. In response, charitable organizations in the North sent doctors, nurses, teachers, food, clothing and medical supplies.

Helena's Quaker Orphanage and School
In April 1864, Alida and Calvin Clark left their Indiana farm to come to Helena. The Clarks were Quakers, members of the Indiana Yearly Meeting of Friends. Upon arriving they opened the Freedmen's Asylum for Orphans.

The Clarks did more than provide food and shelter. They provided an education. Imagine a child's face as he reads words printed on a page for the first time. The schools established by northern organizations helped give children a future.

In 1866, donations of money and labor from the 56th United States Colored Infantry made it possible for the Friends' school to move to a thirty-acre site outside of Helena. The humble school eventually became Southland College, a high school and teacher training school.

[Photo caption]
Calvin and Alida Clark

 
Erected 2013
Answering a Call for Help Marker located in Court Square Park near the Federal Building. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 26, 2017
2. Answering a Call for Help Marker located in Court Square Park near the Federal Building.
The bronze statue depicts a student in Southland College, a Quaker school created for African American children orphaned by the Civil War.
by Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission.
 
Location. 34° 31.737′ N, 90° 35.229′ W. Marker is in Helena, Arkansas, in Phillips County. Marker is at the intersection of Walnut Street and Perry Street, on the right when traveling north on Walnut Street. Touch for map. Located in Court Square Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 617 Walnut Street, Helena AR 72342, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "We shall never be the same" (here, next to this marker); Judge Jacob Trieber (within shouting distance of this marker); West Helena, Arkansas (within shouting distance of this marker); Loyal to the Old Flag (within shouting distance of this marker); Phillips County, Arkansas (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Comes to Arkansas (within shouting distance of this marker); The Right to Vote (within shouting distance of this marker); Helena, Arkansas (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Helena.
 
More about this marker. An Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial site and a part of the Arkansas Civil War Discovery Trail.
 
Also see . . .  Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture article on Southland College. (Submitted on September 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. EducationScience & MedicineWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 62 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement