Nova Scotia Clayworks
Our Harbour • Our Heritage
While lobster boats have filled the local wharves for generations, the community's most unique feature may have been the 130 ft. (39.6m) smoke stack belonging to Nova Scotia Clayworks on the opposite side of the harbour. Started in 1889, the company grew to produce 1 million bricks per month before its closure in 1931.
[Historic Pugwash photos]
"Where you are born should not dictate your potential as a human being."
— Roméo Dallaire
All photos used with permission from Nova Scotia Archives and the North Cumberland Historical Soc.
The Heritage Vignette Installations are a Pugwash & Area Chamber of Commerce project. We would like to thank the Nova Scotia Tourism Agency, Pugwash Communities in Bloom, Basic Spirit, David Rickard Design, Tools & Time, Greensmith Contracting, Acadian Printing and NBG Consulting for their contributions to make this project possible. (June 2015)
Erected by Pugwash & Area Chamber of Commerce and Others.
Location. 45° 50.992′ N, 63° 39.843′ W. Marker is in Pugwash, Nova Scotia, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of Water Street and Victoria Street, on the left when traveling north on Water Street. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pugwash Harbour (here, next to this marker); The Gathering of the Clans (within shouting distance of this marker); Pugwash Streetscapes (within shouting distance of this marker); World Wars Memorial (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Pugwash Conferences and Masonic Lodge (about 90 meters away); Evolution of Pugwash Industry (about 90 meters away); Pugwash Train Station 1961 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Pugwash Railway Station (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pugwash.
Also see . . . Pugwash History. (Submitted on September 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.