Camp Dennison in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
“The Camp Must Be Held!”
—John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
On Monday, Neff deployed scouts and posted guards at Little Miami River bridges from Milford to Fort Ancient. He ordered Captain Joseph L. Proctor and 50 men to dig rifle pits overlooking the vital crossroads of Kugler Mill,Loveland and present-day Camargo roads. Proctor's men felled trees to block the crossroads and fortify their rifle pits. By dawn on Tuesday, 350 convalescent soldiers and militia manned the earthworks. Brigadier General Jacob D. Cox, the District of Ohio commander, telegraphed Neff: "The camp must be held!"
About 6 am on July 14, the Confederates appeared on Kugler Mill Road and were sent reeling by a Union volley. Morgan's ran soldiers dismounted and began a brisk firefight with Proctor's troops. Morgan directed two howitzers of Byrne's Battery to shell Proctor's position for nearly thirty minutes. The Union lines held firm. Unable to afford a time-consuming engagement,
At the request of Ohio Governor William Dennison, Major General George B. McClellan established Camp Dennison on April 27, 1861, as a place to muster, train, and discharge volunteer soldiers. Between 75,000 and 100,000 Union soldiers passed through the camp on their way to and from the battlefront. A military hospital for Union soldiers and Confederate POWs was added in April 1862. Boasting 2,300 beds, it was among the North's largest such hospitals.
Top left map: Camp Dennison encompassed more than 700 acres by July 1863. It was dismantled between November 1865 and June 1866. Only these sites remain:
1) reservoir; (2) guardhouse; (3) "tents and shanties" campground of 1861,;
(4) Waldschmidt House (temporary headquarters): (5) camp cemetery
(6) post headquarters; and (7) camp road.
Top right: Camp Dennison, June 1861
A view looking northwest from the intersection of Galbraith (Kugler Mil) Road and SR 126 (Glendale-Milford Road).
Text: David L. Mowery
Illustration: Bev Kirk
Erected 2013 by the Ohio Department of Transportation, the Ohio History Connection, and the Ohio Civil War Trail Commission. (Marker Number 8.)
Marker series. John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail in Ohio marker series.
Location. 39° 11.365′ N, 84° 17.522′ W. Marker is in Camp Dennison, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Marker is on Kugler Mill Road west of Glendale-Milford Road (Ohio Route 126), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Camp Dennison OH 45111, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Camp Dennison (here, next to this marker); First Methodist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Promont (approx. one mile away); Milford Bridge (approx. 1.2 miles away); Greenlawn Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Milford GAR Veterans Memorial (approx. 1˝ miles away); Henry Clark Corbin (approx. 1˝ miles away); Miamiville (approx. 1.6 miles away).
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 12, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 80 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 12, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.