Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
You are standing in the heart of a once thriving African American community. At the time of the American Revolution in 1776, one third of Georgetown's population was African American. By the time of the Civil War in the 1860s, many former slaves had set up households and small businesses. Black churches, such as Jerusalem Baptist Church at 26th Street dating from the early 1900s, also flourished. This part of Georgetown was known as Herring Hill, named after the fish caught nearby in Rock Creek, and it thrived well into the 1930s.
At the top of 27th Street is a path that leads to Mt. Zion Cemetery, where a tomb hidden in the hillside was a stop on the Underground Railroad.
Next to the cemetery is Dumbarton House, headquarters of The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America. This house was First Lady Dolley Madison's first stop when she fled from British burning of the White House in the War of 1812. But she refused to abandon Gilbert Stuart's portrait of George Washington, removed it from its frame, and sent it safely as well as the red velvet draperies from what is known today as the Blue Room.
Georgetown's Call Box restoration project is part of a city-wide effort
Police alarm boxes such as this one (originally painted blue) were established for police use starting in the 1880s. An officer on foot - as most were in the late 19th and early 20th centuries - used the box to check in regularly with his precinct or to call for backup if needed. The police boxes were locked, opened and by a big brass key that officers carried. Inside was a telephone that automatically dialed the precinct's number. Checking in regularly was a way to make sure the patrolman was doing his job, and also a way to make sure he was safe. Use of the call box systems began to decline in the 1960s with the advent of two-way car radios and walkie-talkies. The phones were finally disconnected in the 1970s and replaced with today's 911 emergency system.
with support from
DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities, DC Creates Public Art Program
DC Department of
Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development
Citizens Association of Georgetown
Residents of 2711 P Street N.W.
William J. McNamara, Santos Jésus Gonzalez
Robert E. McNamara
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC.
Location. 38° 54.566′ N, 77° 3.341′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of P Street NW and 27th Street NW on P Street NW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2701 P Street NW, Washington DC 20007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Margaret Peters and Roumania Peters Walker (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dumbarton House (about 400 feet away); Georgetown Refuge (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church, Georgetown (about 700 feet away); Mt. Zion United Methodist Church Parsonage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mount Zion United Methodist Church and Heritage Center, and the Female Union Band Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Evermay (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Colonial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans • Architecture • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 13, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.