Clifton in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Wm. E. Beckwith House
Location. 38° 46.78′ N, 77° 23.27′ W. Marker is in Clifton, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on Chapel Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12752 Chapel Street, Clifton VA 20124, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fulmer House (within shouting distance of this marker); Quigg House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clifton Baptist Church (about 400 feet away); Weaver House (about 400 feet away); Harris House (about 400 feet away); Circa 1884 (about 400 feet away); Payne House (about 400 feet away); Buckley Store (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clifton.
Regarding Wm. E. Beckwith House. Wm. E. Beckwith owned 1,200 acres of land on Popes Head Creek. When he died in 1863 his will freed all sixteen of his slaves and gave them 200 acres of land south of the railroad tracks. That tract and the remaining 1,000 acres that were sold
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 19, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.