Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Augustine Alligator Farm

 
 
St. Augustine Alligator Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, May 5, 2011
1. St. Augustine Alligator Farm Marker
Inscription. The St. Augustine Alligator Farm is one of the oldest continuously operated attractions created specifically for the purpose of entertaining visitors to Florida. Its origins date to the early 1890s, the first decade of St. Augustine's emergence as a popular tourist destination. Alligators were initially used to attract visitors to a small museum and souvenir shop on St. Augustine Beach at the terminus of a tram railway that ran across Anastasia Island. The owners soon discovered the public's fascination with the reptiles and in 1909 incorporated the South Beach Alligator Farm and Museum of Marine Curiosities, which they moved to its present location in 1920. W.I. Drysdale and F. Charles Usina purchased ownership in 1936 and, after a disastrous fire, began at once to rebuild the facilities, expand the collection, and create national publicity for the attraction. Thousands of servicemen who visited the Alligator Farm during World War II helped to broadcast its popularity. The collection of alligators and other animals in a controlled environment has provided a unique opportunity for scientists who have conducted research in cooperation with the institution. The St. Augustine Alligator Farm's role in the development of tourism in the state was recognized in 1992 with its listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected
St. Augustine Alligator Farm Entrance taken from marker looking south image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, October 31, 2017
2. St. Augustine Alligator Farm Entrance taken from marker looking south
1993 by The St. Augustine Alligator Farm in Cooperation with the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-343.)
 
Location. 29° 52.926′ N, 81° 17.316′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is on Anastasia Boulevard (State Road A1A) 0.1 miles north of Old Quarry Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 999 Anastasia Boulevard, Saint Augustine FL 32080, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named St. Augustine Alligator Farm (a few steps from this marker); 1872 South Privy (approx. ¼ mile away); 1888 Outdoor Kitchens (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Spanish Quarries (approx. ¼ mile away); 1872 North Privy (approx. ¼ mile away); 1886 Well (approx. ¼ mile away); Coquina - Foundation of St. Augustine (approx. ¼ mile away); Lighthouse and Keepers House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  St. Augustine Alligator Farm and Zoological Park. (Submitted on December 9, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
 
Categories. EntertainmentMan-Made Features
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 9, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.