Center Point in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Camp Verde, Texas
1856, Camp Verde was established as a military post to suppress Indian attacks on settlers. As suggested by Jefferson Davis, camels were brought to the camp as an experiment in providing transportation of troops and equipment. The experiment was interrupted by various occupations of the fort during the Civil War and ended when US Army abandoned the fort in 1869. Union soldiers were held prisoner by Confederates in 1861 at nearby Prison Canyon Ranch. Gen Robert E. Lee and other notable military leaders visited the Camp and were housed in a cabin at Prison Canyon Ranch. Camp Verde Store built in 1857 served the Camp and area residents through the turn of the century. A new general store and post office built in 1908 is still in use today.
Engraved and dedicated spring of 2004
Location. 29° 56.618′ N, 99° 2.223′ W. Marker is in Center Point, Texas, in Kerr County. Marker is on San Antonio Street south of Kelly Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located on right side of gate to the Center Point Historical Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 San Antonio Street, Center Point TX 78010, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this Center Point, Texas (here, next to this marker); Center Point Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Penateka Comanches (approx. 5.4 miles away); One Mile to Ruins of Camp Verde (approx. 5.4 miles away); Apelt Armadillo Farm (approx. 5.6 miles away); Bandera Pass (approx. 7.2 miles away); Comfort School (approx. 7.6 miles away); Treue Der Union Monument (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Center Point.
More about this marker. Marker is engraved, polished maroon granite, weathered and somewhat difficult to read
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Camp Verde.
Camp Verde, a United States Army frontier post, was established on July 8, 1855, on the northern bank of Verde Creek three miles outside of Bandera Pass in southern Kerr County. In 1856 the camp was headquarters for forty camels sent by Secretary of War Jefferson Davis to be used in a system of overland communications. (Submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Camp Verde General Store.
Nestled in the Texas Hill Country, on the banks of the Verde Creek, the store was first established in 1857. The present day, two story stone structure of Southern colonial design was constructed after (Submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Animals • Forts, Castles • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.