Del Rio in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
On November 1, 1854, John Taini was born in Rezzato, Italy (near Brescia) to Gerolamo and Lucia Prandelli Taini. John later became a stonemason there, and an American contractor recruited him and his partner, G.B. Cassinelli, to build structures in New York. Although those projects fell through, Taini and Cassinelli worked for the railroads and then for the U.S. Army constructing stone buildings at Fort Clark in Brackettville, Texas. Like many hired to work at Fort Clark, Taini and Cassinelli later moved to Del Rio, where many other Italians immigrated in the 1880s.
Family tradition holds that Taini returned to Italy in 1889 to wed Erminia Gerola (1874-1955). The couple reared two daughters, Annie and Lucy. Taini maintained his partnership with Cassinelli, building several structures, as well as buying and selling real estate in the Del Rio area. As a stonemason, Taini worked as a sub-contractor on the Val Verde County Courthouse in 1885. Other projects at that time included Southern Pacific Railroad employee housing, Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Club Café, the 1904 Methodist church building and numerous residences. Taini's partnership with Cassinelli dissolved by 1904, but he continued working on construction projects. He won multiple county and city contracts, including work on the county jail, bridges, canal and creek
In addition to Taini's architectural contributions, he was also a leader in the Del Rio community. He donated land for civic improvements and served as an election judge and on the board of directors of the Italian Catholic Cemetery, now part of Sacred Heart Cemetery, where he was buried in 1929.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13793.)
Location. 29° 21.527′ N, 100° 53.784′ W. Marker is in Del Rio, Texas, in Val Verde County. Marker is at the intersection of Mill Street and East Greenwood Street, on the right when traveling north on Mill Street. Touch for map. Marker is located beside the Sacred Heart Catholic Church, one of the many buildings in the area constructed by John Taini. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 East Losoya Street, Del Rio TX 78840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sacred Heart Catholic Church (a few steps from this marker); Camp Hudson, C.S.A. (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Val Verde County Courthouse Square (about First United Methodist Church of Del Rio (about 700 feet away); Old Del Rio National Bank Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of Del Rio (approx. ¼ mile away); The Cassinelli Gin House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Perry Building (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Del Rio.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. John Taini, Italian Stonemason of Del Rio.
During the late 1880s through the 1910s, John Taini repeatedly won contracts with Val Verde County and the City of Del Rio to build civic improvements. Taini won the contract to repair and enlarge the County Jail and to build a culvert to drain runoff under (but not into) Del Rio’s canal system. Taini built the “Rock Bridge,” the bridge that connects Del Rio’s Losoya Street with San Felipe neighborhood’s Gillis Street Bridge. He took down the fence surrounding courthouse square for the county commissioners and reinstalled it around the county jail. (Submitted on December 13, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Del Rio – Rio Grande River City.
John Taini and his partner, G.B. Cassinelli, worked for the railroad and then for the U.S. Army constructing stone buildings for Fort Clark in Brackettville, Texas. Once the fort was complete, the two moved to Del Rio in the early 1880’s. Taini worked to help build several prominent buildings including the Val Verde County Courthouse in 1887, the 1895 Sacred Heart Catholic Church, the 1904 Methodist Church building, as well as several others. (Submitted on December 13, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 13, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.