Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ellicott City in Howard County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Court House, 1840:

National Park Service Underground Railroad

 

—Network to Freedom —

 
Old Court House, 1840: Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, December 18, 2017
1. Old Court House, 1840: Marker
Inscription. Click to hear the inscription.  The first Howard County Courthouse, located in the historic district of Ellicott City Maryland, was a pre-existing structure rented by the Howard District Commissioners from George Ellicott in 1840 to house judicial proceedings of the new Howard District including those involving freedom seekers and enticement to run away. This building, located near the corner of Mercer Street and County Street, was used from 1840 through the fall term of 1842 while the permanent courthouse structure was being constructed on nearby Court Avenue on Capitoline Hill. Although the courthouse was never moved, the streets around the courthouse were moved/changed in the urban renewal of the 1960s. One case involved four enslaved people ­ Bill Plummer, John Wesley Mathews, David Mathews and Basil all of whom belonged to Charles W. Warfield. They were all charged with illegally absconding from their master to Pennsylvania. Subsequently, free black Wesley Green was charged for helping the four escape to Pennsylvania.
 
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 39° 16.141′ N, 76° 48.054′ W.
Old Court House, 1840: Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, December 18, 2017
2. Old Court House, 1840: Marker
Marker was in Ellicott City, Maryland, in Howard County. Marker could be reached from the intersection of Main Street (Maryland Route 144) and Ellicott Mills Drive. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 8398 Main Street, Ellicott City MD 21043, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Fells Lane Community (a few steps from this marker); The National Road (within shouting distance of this marker); MaryLandscapes (within shouting distance of this marker); Ellicott’s Mills (within shouting distance of this marker); Fire House Annex (within shouting distance of this marker); New Fire Station & Transit Terminal (within shouting distance of this marker); Ellicott City Volunteer Fire Department (within shouting distance of this marker); Jonathan Ellicott Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ellicott City.
 
Also see . . .  Old Howard County Courthouse. MD Historic Trust. “Standing on the northeast corner of Main Street and Ellicott Mills Drive, the Old Howard County Courthouse was moved to this location between 1969 and 1971. It formerly stood on Mercer Street, which was to the northwest of its current site.” (Submitted on December 22, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Additional comments.
Fels lane (ex County Street) Photo c. 1967 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, December 18, 2017
3. Fels lane (ex County Street) Photo c. 1967
Close-up of photo on marker
.

1. Ellicott City Flood 2018
A recent visit to Ellicott City shows this building and marker are missing, resulting from the May 2018 floods.
    — Submitted June 25, 2018, by Andy P of Ellicott City, Maryland.

 
Categories. Abolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansMan-Made Features
 
Old Court House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, December 18, 2017
4. Old Court House
Old Court House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, December 18, 2017
5. Old Court House
Old Court House, 1969<br>off Fels Lane image. Click for full size.
MD Historical Trust
6. Old Court House, 1969
off Fels Lane
From the MD Historic Trust Form.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 22, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 22, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement