Remembering the Deceased
The tradition of marking a burial grew out of people's inability to accept the finality of death. Since stone, by the human timescale, is not subject to decay, it represented something eternal.
The old burying grounds is one of Nova Scotia's more important sites as it is a microcosm of the province[']s burial history.
This slate stone belonging to Elkanah Freeman is the first type of material used for markers in this cemetery. In use from 1759 to approximately 1830, many are decorated with death heads or angels. A toothy winged skull often symbolized the death head. It is interesting to note that though the death head was out of style in New England by the late 1700's, Nova Scotians were still importanting them - possibly at a reduced cost for old stock! This may be attributed to the fact that familiarity often brings comfort and when many of the New Englanders moved to Nova Scotia the death head was still in fashion. In Liverpool, soul effigies (winged cherub faces) are more common than death heads. Strolling through the old cemetery, the visitor will see both.
Sandstone markers were in use mainly during the first half of the 19th century. Many were decorated with urns and laurel wreaths as was the custom of the times. This stone belonging to Elizabeth Riggs (daughter of
The white marble you see in this burial ground are actually made of limestone quarried mostly in Vermont and used for a period of almost 100 years. (Late 18th century to last quarter of 19th century) Perhaps they stayed in favour for so long because they had the look of a very luxurious material, yet they were affordable.
Touted as indestructible it was used for only a very short period of time at the end of the 19th century. You will find only two examples of this type of marker in the burial grounds. It is ironic this indestructible stone of the late Mary Jane Irwin has a large piece broken off the back.
The use of this material became popular in the late 1800's as technology allowed the fine cutting and polishing of this very hard stone. The stone of Charity S. Cole who passed away on Sept. 17, 1898, was the last head stone to be placed in the old burial grounds as it had come to be at full capacity by the last quarter of the 19th century. Granite is still popular today and is one of the most widely used materials for manufacturing tombstones.
In Memory of the crew of the
Beam Trawler "Jutland"
foundered at sea March 11, 1920
These crossed anchors recovered from
fishing banks on Jutland's previous trip
are placed as a symbol of our hope that
their souls are resting in eternal peace.
Location. 44° 2.258′ N, 64° 42.981′ W. Marker is in Liverpool, Nova Scotia, in Queens County. Touch for map. Liverpool is now part of the Region of Queens Municipality. Marker is at or near this postal address: Old Burial Ground, 293 Main Street, Liverpool, Nova Scotia B0T 1P0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Step Back in Time / The Final Resting Place (within shouting distance of this marker); Beam Trawler Jutland Memorial (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing. ); Old Burial Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Liverpool Town Hall / L'Hotel de Ville de Liverpool (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); War Memorial (about 150 meters away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 7, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 66 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 7, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.