Near Newport in Lincoln County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
It's a Long Way Up
Yaquina Head's light is 81’2" (25 m) above the ground and 162' (49 m) above mean sea level; the top of the tower is 10' (3 m) higher still.
Higher is better
On America's rugged west coast, keeping lights low enough to be seen under the fog was often a problem.
However, if they were placed too low, they couldn't be seen far enough away to be useful.
The higher a light is, the further it can be seen at sea. At 162 feet (49 m) above sea level, Yaquina Head's light can be seen about 19 miles (32 km) out to sea.
Late nights at the office
Imagine spending all of a long winter's night sitting on a stiff chair 70 feet (21 m) up in the tower watching the light.
Now try to imagine doing it in the years before there was radio, TV, or even electricity! The building attached to the light tower has two rooms which once served as the "oil room and office." However, the keepers stood nightly watch in the tower itself.
Still Lighting the Way
Many ships and boats continue to depend on lighthouses for navigational aid. Equipment in the small building attached to the light tower keeps a light on in case the electricity fails. A small battery-powered back-up light is attached to the railing surrounding the “lantern deck;”
Erected by U.S. Department of the Interior - Bureau of Land Management.
Location. 44° 40.611′ N, 124° 4.771′ W. Marker is near Newport, Oregon, in Lincoln County. Marker can be reached from Northwest Lighthouse Drive west of Oregon Coast Highway (U.S. 101). Touch for map. Marker is located beside the Yaquina Head Lighthouse, at the end of NW Lighthouse Drive, within the Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area, about 4 miles north of Newport, Oregon. Marker is in this post office area: Newport OR 97365, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Keeper's Work Was Never Done (here, next to this marker); A Family Affair (here, next to this marker); South to Newport (within shouting distance of this marker); Newport, Oregon (approx. 3.3 miles away); United States Coast Guard Motor Lifeboat CG 36503 (approx. 3.7 miles away); Yaquina Bay (approx. 3.8 miles away); Yaquina Bay Bridge (approx. 3.8 miles away); Devil's Punchbowl (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
More about this marker. Marker is weathered and some of the information is illegible
Regarding It's a Long Way Up.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Yaquina Head Lighthouse. The tower’s fixed white light, produced by a Barbier & Fenestre first-order Fresnel lens and a four-wick, lard-oil lamp, shone for the first time on August 20, 1873. Mineral-oil lamps replaced the station’s lard-oil lamps in 1888. The station was electrified in 1933 and then automated on May 1, 1966, allowing the last two Coast Guard keepers to leave the station. The original lens is still in place, but is now illuminated with an electric bulb. Since 1939, the light has had a signature of two seconds on, two seconds off, two seconds on, then fourteen seconds off. (Submitted on January 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Yaquina Head Light.
Yaquina Head's rock outcropping and 93 foot tower are visible for several miles along the Pacific Coast Highway. The light was completed in 1873 and is a classic example of the towers of that period. Inside the lantern is a huge 12 foot high First Order Fresnel Lens. (Submitted on January 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7. submitted on January 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.