Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Mottís Battery

1862 Peninsula Campaign

 
 
Mottís Battery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
1. Mottís Battery Marker
Inscription. On April 4, 1862, Major General George B. McClellan launched his offensive on the Virginia Peninsula against the Confederate capital at Richmond. Major General John B. Magruderís 13,000 troops halted the Union advance along the Warwick-Yorktown line on April 5, 1862. With aggressive troop maneuvers and artillery duels, Magruder deceived McClellan into believing he faced impregnable fortifications defended by over 100,000 troops. “Our reconnaissance of yesterday,” reported McClellan, “shows the strength of the enemyís positions. The Warwick River grows worse the more you look at it.” For the next month, McClellan concentrated 121,500 troops, 103 siege guns, and 44 artillery batteries against the Confederate defenders.

This earthwork, part of McClellanís extensive siege works, marked the second position of Captain Thaddeus Mottís 3rd New York Battery during the April 16, 1862 Battle of Dam No. 1. Mottís battery, containing two 12-pound Napoleon smoothbores and four 10-pound Parrott rifles, supported the strike against the Confederate one-gun battery at Dam No. 1. During the engagement, Mottís battery suffered ten casualties, and Confederate counter-battery fire disabled one of the Parrot rifles.
 
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
 
Marker series.
Marker in Newport News Park image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
2. Marker in Newport News Park
Union fortifications can be seen in this photo behind the marker.
This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 37° 10.917′ N, 76° 32.146′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Constitution Way, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located in Newport News Park, on the Two Forts Walking Trail on the south side of Lee Hall Reservoir. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23603, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Peninsula Campaign Warwick River (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Dam No. 1 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Leeís Mill (Dam Number 1) (about 400 feet away); Custerís Covered Way (about 400 feet away); Third Regiment Vermont Volunteer Infantry (about 400 feet away); Ten Pound Parrott Rifle and Limber (about 600 feet away); Berdanís Sharpshooters (about 700 feet away); One-Gun Battery (approx. ľ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
 
More about this marker. The upper right of the marker features a map of Confederate Defenses on the Peninsula, Courtesy of the Virginia War Museum. The upper left contains photographs of Maj. Gen. George B.. McClellan and Maj. Gen. John B. Magruder, Courtesy of the Library of Congress and
Marker on the Two Forts Trail image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
3. Marker on the Two Forts Trail
the Virginia War Museum.

 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers on the Two Forts Walking Trail in Newport News Park.
 
Also see . . .
1. Yorktown. CWSAC Battle Summaries. (Submitted on September 8, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

2. Tidewater Virginia, The 1862 Peninsula Campaign. Civil War Traveler. (Submitted on September 8, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Notable EventsNotable PlacesWar, US Civil
 
Union Fortifications image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
4. Union Fortifications
These well-preserved earthworks, where Captain Thaddeus Mottís 3rd New York Battery was located during the April 16, 1862 Battle of Dam No. 1, are located near the marker (visible in the left of the photo).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,258 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 8, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement