Darien in McIntosh County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1808, a Canal, called General`s Cut, was dug through the island to connect the Darien River with the middle branch of the Altamaha, "for the convenience of the adjoining planters." This Cut, located a short distance east of here, was later used to ferry between Darien and the southern plantations of the Delta.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 095-23.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 21.746′ N, 81° 26.376′ W. Marker is in Darien, Georgia, in McIntosh County. Marker is on Ocean Highway (U.S. 17) 0.8 miles south of Darien, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Darien GA 31305, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Darien Waterfront (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Darien (approx. half a mile away); Port of Darien Darien (approx. half a mile away); Fort King George (approx. half a mile away); Saint Cyprian's Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); The Burning of Darien (approx. 0.6 miles away); Vernon Square (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darien.
Also see . . . Lachlan McIntosh, Wikipedia entry. By 1770, McIntosh had become a leader in the independence movement in Georgia. In January 1775 he helped organize delegates to the Provincial Congress from the Darien District of St. Andrew Parish. (Submitted on September 9, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Horticulture & Forestry • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,200 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 9, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.