Oxford in Newton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Methodist Meeting House
—March to the Sea Heritage Trail —
Bishop James O. Andrew, one of five Methodist bishops in the country, lived on property adjacent to Old Church. Through marriage Andrew inherited a female slave named Kitty. Kitty's simple cottage originally stood behind Andrew's residence. Andrew wished to free Kitty but was forbidden by Georgia law. In 1844, after heated debate, the General Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church (a forebearer of the United Methodist Church) suspended Bishop Andrew from his office so long as he could not or would not free Kitty. Outraged Southern delegates drafted a Plan of Separation leading to the creation of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The two regional factions reunited in 1939.
One block north of Old Church stands the President's House (circa 1836), once owned by Augustus Baldwin
Oxford and nearby Covington were the targets of Union Brigadier General Kenner Garrard's cavalry raid on Friday July 22, 1864. Garrard's men destroyed Confederate stores, segments of the Georgia Railroad and captured all horses and mules fit for army service. During this raid, some patients at Emory College were captured while others hid in the woods. Confederate Sergeant Walter Clark, a former Emory student, recalled that the first hint of Garrard's arrival was of a Federal cavalryman appearing outside of an Emory College dining room used by patients. Another local resident later wrote, "They came upon us with the suddenness of a whirlwind." Clark eluded capture but numerous other Confederates did not.
On Friday, November 18, 1864, Union Major General Jefferson C. Davis's 14th Corps accompanied by Major General William T. Sherman entered Covington. Skirmishing between Federal foragers and the Confederate cavalry of Terry's Texas Rangers occurred just outside of Oxford but the town was spared further major damage.
Erected by Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails, Inc. (Marker Number L3.)
Location. 33° 37.511′ N, 83° 52.254′ W. Marker is in Oxford, Georgia, in Newton County. Marker is at the intersection of Wesley Street and Fletcher Street, on the right when traveling north on Wesley Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1011 Wesley Street, Oxford GA 30054, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Church - 1841 (within shouting distance of this marker); Kitty's Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Oxford Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Town of Oxford, Georgia Historic Shrine of the United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Town of Oxford and Emory College (approx. 0.3 miles away); Garrard’s Cavalry Raid (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Stoneman Raid (approx. 1.7 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oxford.
Regarding Old Church.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Science & Medicine • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 25, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 84 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 25, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the President's house mentioned on the marker, located one block north of the church. • Can you help?