Port Jefferson in Suffolk County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Anchor of Our Community
The Admiralty anchor in the turnaround behind you is symbolic of the Port Jefferson Village Center, which is the anchor of our community. The iron anchor was found by the / RV (Research Vessel) Seawolf while trawling in an area south of the entrance to Ambrose Channel. The anchor dates back to the years between 1890-1910 and is from a vessel that was about 180-feet long and weighed around 1300 tons. This type of anchor was developed by the British Navy (hence Admiralty anchor) in the 1840s, and commonly used by vessels built in Port Jefferson in the 1850s.
The British Navy adopted the "Admiralty Anchor" in the mid-1840s. Also known as a "kedge," the anchor style is still in use for small boats and moorings. It has great holding power in sandy or muddy sea floors.
Ambrose Channel is the main shipping channel in and out of the Port of New York and New Jersey. It is considered to be part of Lower New York Bay and is located several miles off the coasts of Sandy Hook in New Jersey and Breezy Point, Queens, in New York. Ambrose Channel ends at Ambrose Anchorage, just south of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, the gateway to New York Harbor.
Historic Marker Research and Design
Location. 40° 56.928′ N, 73° 4.065′ W. Marker is in Port Jefferson, New York, in Suffolk County. Marker is on Pass Way north of East Broadway, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is located in the turnaround at the center of Port Jefferson's Harborfront Park, near the Admiralty Anchor, overlooking the harbor. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 East Broadway, Port Jefferson NY 11777, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Well-Worn Ways (within shouting distance of this marker); Delivered Afloat in the Harbor (within shouting distance of this marker); Bayles Chandlery (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church of Port Jefferson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roe Tavern (approx. 1.6 miles away); Selah B. Strong - Kate Strong House (approx. 2 miles away); Site of Strongs Neck Bridge (approx. 2.2 miles away); St. George’s Manor Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Jefferson.
Also see . . .
1. R/V Seawolf Discovery and Eagle Scout Project Becomes Port Jefferson Landmark.
The R/V Seawolf, flagship of the Marine Sciences Research Center, with Captain Steve Cluett at the wheel, “caught” the anchor on the last tow of the first trawl trip for the New Jersey Dept of Envir. (Submitted on March 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. History of the anchor.
After 1852 the British admiralty anchor was supplied to H.M. ships. (Submitted on March 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Notable Places • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.