Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santa Barbara in Santa Barbara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Burton Mound

 
 
Burton Mound Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 11, 2009
1. Burton Mound Marker
Inscription. Thought to have once been the Indian Village of Syujtun, this site has yielded some of the most important archeological evidence found in California. In 1542 the village was recorded by Cabrillo while on his Voyage of Discovery, and again, in 1769, by Fr. Crespi and the redoubtable Portola. Don Luis Burton, after whom the mound was named, acquired the property in 1860.
 
Erected 1966 by the State of California, the Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West, and the City of Santa Barbara. (Marker Number 306.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Gaspar de Portolá Expedition marker series.
 
Location. 34° 24.659′ N, 119° 41.526′ W. Marker is in Santa Barbara, California, in Santa Barbara County. Marker is on West Mason Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located at the northern corner of Ambassador Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 129 West Mason Street, Santa Barbara CA 93101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Santa Barbara Veterans' Memorial Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sambo's Birthplace (about 400 feet away); Moreton Bay Fig Tree
Burton Mound Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 11, 2009
2. Burton Mound Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Trussell-Winchester Adobe (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hotel Virginia (approx. 0.4 miles away); De La Guerra Plaza (approx. ¾ mile away); Casa Covarrubas (approx. ¾ mile away); The Oreña Adobe (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Barbara.
 
Regarding Burton Mound. This site was one of the largest Chumash villages on the South Coast. Portolà stated that at least 600 people lived here. The village had disappeared by the early 1830‘s. In 1923, archaeologist John P. Harrington excavated the property on behalf of the Smithsonian Institution. Over 2,500 objects were uncovered, which are now at the National Museum of the American Indian. This site was declared a California Historical Landmark in 1939.
 
Additional keywords. Chumash, Native American, John P. Harrington, Smithsonian,
 
Categories. AnthropologyNative Americans
 
Ambassador Park image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 11, 2009
3. Ambassador Park
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 638 times since then and 60 times this year. Last updated on March 20, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 16, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement