Singers Glen in Rockingham County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Salem Church
Anti-Slavery Congregation in the Confederacy
This was the only United Brethren Church that the anti-slavery denomination opened within the Confederacy during the Civil War. It was constructed on the northeastern side of Green Hill along Joes Creek northwest of Edom in 1833 as Green Hill Methodist Episcopal Meeting House. In 1863 during the Civil War, local members of the United Brethren in Christ bought the church from the Methodists for $500. The United Brethren moved the building to a rocky field on the Abraham Rolston farm about one-and-a-half miles north of Singers Glen on present-day Turleytown Road. Virginia Bishop J.J. Glossbrenner brought window glass from West Virginia through Federal lines. The relocated building was dedicated on December 27, 1863, as Salem United Brethren in Christ Church. William J. Miller, a local preacher and miller, helped to organize Salem Church.
John W. Howe, the United Brethren preacher assigned to Rockingham County, also helped organize the church and held it together during the war. Hiram Brown (1871-1964), a later owner of the property, was told that soldiers quartered their horses in the church.
Old Salem became the mother church of at least five other United Brethren congregations, including Singers Glen, Cherry Grove, and several churches in the Brocks Gap area. Late in the 1880s, the United Brethren abandoned
Old Salem Church was dismantled in 2005, moved to this location in Singers Glen, and rebuilt between 2006 and 2008 as a historic chapel for the community.
Part of Rockingham Co., 1864
William J. Miller (born 1829) John W. Howe (1829-1903)
Courtesy Eastern Mennonite University Archives
Old Salem as a horse barn, mid twentieth century - Courtesy John Coffman
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 33.112′ N, 78° 54.889′ W. Marker is in Singers Glen, Virginia, in Rockingham County. Marker can be reached from Singer Glen Road (Virginia Route 613) west of Kieffer Road (Virginia Route 876), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9788 Singers Glen Road, Singers Glen VA 22850, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Joseph Funk (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Breneman-Turner Mill (approx. 2.8 miles away); Dr. Jessee Bennett (approx. 3½ miles away); Baxter House (approx. 4.3 miles away); Lincoln's Virginia Ancestors (approx. 4.4 miles away); Elder John Kline Monument (approx. 5½ miles away); Edgar Amos Love (approx. 7½ miles away); Newtown Cemetery (approx. 7½ miles away).
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2018, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2018, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.