Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Vicksburg in Warren County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Vicksburg's First Bank

 

—Vicksburg Heritage Walking Trail —

 
Vicksburg's First Bank Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, March 23, 2018
1. Vicksburg's First Bank Marker
Inscription.
Planters Bank of Mississippi
Built in 1834 Planters Hall housed Vicksburg's first bank. During early banking in Mississippi, state law required the bank president and his family to live on the second story of the bank. When the bank failed in 1842, the building became a private residence.

Close Call
William McRae, one of Warren County's sheriffs, purchased the house in 1854. During the shelling of the city in 1862, Lucy McRae, described in her diary the day "Papa almost died." Papa was standing in the front bedroom watching the battle between Federal gunboats and Confederate batteries when a shell fragment broke the window, passed through his beard, and imbedded into the wall next to him!

Union Occupation
After the Surrender of Vicksburg on July 4, 1863, many of the local homes were occupied by Union troops during Reconstruction. Planters Hall was used by Union General Elias Smith Dennis for his headquarters.

Another First in Vicksburg
Foot-specific shoes were invented in 1818, but "straight" shoes continued to be the most commonly sold through 1850. In 1884 Phil Gilbert's Shoe Parlor in Vicksburg, Mississippi was the very first merchant to put shoes together in pairs and sell them in boxes!

Lest We Forget
Vicksburg's
The former Planters Bank. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, March 23, 2018
2. The former Planters Bank.
Memorial Auditorium, built in 1951 in honor of those who fought in World War II and the Korean War, sits just across the street. Beginning in 1957 the Miss Mississippi Pageant was held in this Art Deco building for 40 years. In 1997, the pageant moved to the new and larger Vicksburg Convention Center.
 
Erected 2017 by the City of Vicksburg. (Marker Number 4.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi, Vicksburg Heritage Walking Trail marker series.
 
Location. 32° 21.224′ N, 90° 52.738′ W. Marker is in Vicksburg, Mississippi, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Monroe Street, on the left when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 901 Monroe Street, Vicksburg MS 39183, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Planters' Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Women of Influence (within shouting distance of this marker); Bethel A.M.E. Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Main and Cherry (about 400 feet away); Prince Hall Masonry Founded in Mississippi (about
The Vicksburg Memorial Auditorium with marker on far left. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, March 23, 2018
3. The Vicksburg Memorial Auditorium with marker on far left.
400 feet away); Governor "Turkey Runner" (about 400 feet away); Strong in Faith (about 400 feet away); Remarkable Orator (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vicksburg.
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsWar, KoreanWar, US CivilWar, World II
 
The view north on Monroe Street with marker at street corner. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, March 23, 2018
4. The view north on Monroe Street with marker at street corner.
Another marker, next to the former Planters' Bank image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, March 23, 2018
5. Another marker, next to the former Planters' Bank
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 26, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.   5. submitted on April 1, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement