Little Rock in Pulaski County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
The First Human Dissection in Arkansas
The first human dissection in Arkansas was made on this spot in November 1874 by James H. Lenow M.D. Little Rock and Richard S. Vickery M.D. U.S. Army
Erected by the Arkansas Medical Society to perpetuate the early history of medicine in the state May 12, 1927
Erected 1927 by the Arkansas Medical Society.
Location. 34° 44.223′ N, 92° 15.853′ W. Marker is in Little Rock, Arkansas, in Pulaski County. Marker is at the intersection of McMath Avenue and East 11th Street, on the right when traveling south on McMath Avenue. Touch for map. Located in MacArthur Park Historic District south of the tennis courts and north of the restrooms. Marker is at or near this postal address: McMath Avenue, Little Rock AR 72202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Camden Expedition (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); United Spanish War Veterans Tribute (about 400 feet away); Douglas MacArthur (about 400 feet away); In Memory of David O. Dodd (about 500 feet away); MacArthur Park World War Memorial (about The Story of David O. Dodd (about 500 feet away); The Little Rock Arsenal (about 500 feet away); Roosevelt Visits Little Rock (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Little Rock.
Regarding The First Human Dissection in Arkansas. For many, many years, doctors were forbidden from dissecting human bodies to obtain medical knowledge in Arkansas -- and lots of other places. Religious beliefs held that corpses had to be intact in order to go to the afterlife. That taboo was finally broken in Arkansas in November 1874, at the Little Rock Armory. The event was later judged so important by the Arkansas Medical Society that it erected a monument on the spot in 1927.
Dr. Lenow was dean of the College of Medicine from 1907 until 1912. Dr. Richard Swanton Vickery was post surgeon at the Little Rock Barracks located at what is now MacArthur Park. Dr. Vickery (b.1831-d.1906) had recently replaced Dr. Lenow who had been contracted as a surgeon for the two companies of U.S. Infantry at the Little Rock Arsenal.
Categories. • Notable Events • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 77 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.