Albany in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This was the dividing line
between the City of Albany
and the Manor of Rensselaerwyck
Erected 1940 by New York State Education Department.
Location. 42° 39.235′ N, 73° 45.015′ W. Marker is in Albany, New York, in Albany County. Marker is on North Pearl Street (New York State Route 32) 0.1 miles south of Clinton Avenue (U.S. 9), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located in Clinton Square, at the north end of the triangular plaza. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Clinton Square, Albany NY 12207, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Herman Melville (within shouting distance of this marker); First Church in Albany (Reformed) (within shouting distance of this marker); Lincoln Mourned (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); B. Lodge & Company (about 700 feet away); Albany Pump Station (about 700 feet away); Railroads (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of 1 Elk St. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Court of Appeals (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Also see . . .
1. North Albany, Albany, New York.
North Albany was settled in the mid-17th century by the Patroon (Submitted on April 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Manor of Rensselaerswyck.
The estate was originally deeded by the Dutch West India Company in 1630 to Kiliaen van Rensselaer, a Dutch merchant and one of the company's original directors. Rensselaerswyck extended for miles on each side of the Hudson River near present-day Albany. It included most of what are now the present New York counties of Albany and Rensselaer, as well as parts of Columbia and Greene counties. The patroon had nearly total jurisdictional authority, establishing civil and criminal law, villages, and a church. Tenant farmers were allowed to work on the land, but had to pay rent to the owners, and had no rights to property. The patroonship was maintained intact by Rensselaer descendants for more than two centuries. It was split up after the death of its last patroon, Stephen van Rensselaer III in 1839 (Submitted on April 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Clinton Avenue Historic District (Albany, New York).
It originated with the city's creation of Clinton Square at its east end, shortly after the opening of the Erie Canal. Herman Melville lived for a year in one of the early rowhouses on the square. The rowhouse became the standard form as development continued to the west in later decades as the city industrialized. Today 92% of its nearly 600 buildings are 19th-century rowhouses in different architectural styles, predominantly Italianate, many built as speculative housing for the city's middle class. (Submitted on April 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.