Mount Jackson in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Confederate Hospital
Dr. Meem, on a visit to Harrisonburg February 26, 1865, became ill with an unknown ailment and died at the age of 41.
The hospital consisted of three two-story buildings, 150 feet long, accommodating up to 500 patients. A cemetery was established across the Valley Pike on the west side of land belonging to Colonel Levi Rinker.
In the Summer of 1865, the 192nd Ohio Volunteer militia tore down the hospital and built a large village, including a courthouse, guardhouse, ballroom and gallows, at Rude's hill, three miles south of Mount Jackson. Federal occupation forces used these buildings throughout the reconstruction period. When reconstruction ended in 1875, the structures were removed.
Location. 38° 45.302′ N, 78° 38.069′ W. Marker is in Mount Jackson, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 11) south of Nelson Street (Local Route 1314). Touch for map. It is in the Our Soldiers
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. To All Confederates (a few steps from this marker); Our Soldiers’ Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Confederate Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Mt. Jackson General Hospital, CSA (within shouting distance of this marker); Mount Jackson (approx. 0.6 miles away); Union Church - Circa 1825 (approx. 0.8 miles away); McNeill’s Last Charge (approx. 1.9 miles away); Meem's Bottom Covered Bridge (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Jackson.
Also see . . . A Listing Of Confederate Soldiers Buried In Our Soldiers Cemetery. Neale and Kathy Clifton, Clifton's Collectables Genealogy, June 20, 2010. (Submitted on May 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 23, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,621 times since then and 80 times this year. Last updated on September 22, 2008, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 23, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 8. submitted on December 22, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.