Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Salvatierra in Municipality of Salvatierra, Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

Church and Former Convent of San Buenaventura

Ruta de los Conventos - The Convent Route

 
 
Church and Former Convent of San Buenaventura Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 5, 2018
1. Church and Former Convent of San Buenaventura Marker
Inscription.
Templo y Ex Convento de San Buenaventura
(Templo de San Francisco)
Los primeros religiosos en llegar al Valle de Huatzindeo (o Guatzindeo), fueron los franciscanos, que provenían de comunidades ubicadas en Acámbaro, a finales del siglo XVI y principios de XVII. Ellos estuvieron a cargo de evangelizar a los grupos otomíes y chichimecas de la región, fundando las primeras doctrinas en los poblados de Urireo, Eménguaro y Guatzindeo. En este último lugar edificaron un pequeño establecimiento en el Cerro del Calvario, que subsistió hasta la secularización del curato, en 1767. Cuando se fundó el pueblo de Chochones, antecedente de Salvatierra, el curato quedó en manos franciscanas, quienes fundaron más tarde un pequeño hospital para indígenas.

Así, cuando se fundó oficialmente la ciudad, los franciscanos fueron los primeros en comenzar a construir un templo y un convento en el año de 1645. Este recibió la advocación de San Buenaventura, terminándose su construcción en 1742.

El área creció para transformarse en todo un complejo arquitectónico, que incluye no solo al Templo de San Buenaventura, sino también el Templo de la Tercera Orden, dedicado a San Antonio de Pádua, y colinda con el canal de Gugorrones.

El Convento de San Francisco es, desde entonces, uno de los edificios más emblemáticos
Church and Former Convent of San Buenaventura Marker English text image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 5, 2018
2. Church and Former Convent of San Buenaventura Marker English text
de la ciudad. Cuenta con tres altares, siendo el mayor dedicado a la efigie de San Buenaventura, otro a la Purísma Concepción y el tercero al Señor de las Tres Caidas, del cual se dice tuvo una escultura en madera con un mecanismo que le permitía moverse.

Durante la época de las Leyes de Reforma, el convento fue desalojado y perdió el techo, por lo que se quedó prácticamente en ruinas. Décadas más tarde se reconstruyó., para llegar a su actual apariencia. En el jardin del museo se encuentra una estatua de San Francisco de Asis, a la que los fieles atribuyen cualidades milagrosas.

English:
Church and Former Convent of San Buenaventura
(Templo de San Francisco)
The first priests to reach the Valley of Huatzindeo (or Guatzindeo) were the Franciscans, who came from communities of Acámbaro, in the late XVI and early XVII centuries. They were in charge of evangelizing the Otomí and Chichimeca groups in the region, founding the first doctrines in the towns of Urireo, Eménguaro and Guatzindeo. In this last one, they built a small establishment on the hill of el Calvario, which survived until the secularization of the curacy, in 1767. Then, the town of Chochones was founded and named later Salvatierra; the parish was managed by the Franciscan order, who later founded a small hospital for the indigenous.

So, when the
Church and Former Convent of San Buenaventura Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 5, 2018
3. Church and Former Convent of San Buenaventura Marker
The marker can be seen here to the left outside of the church complex.
city was officially established, the Franciscans were the first ones to build a temple and a convent in 1645. It was dedicated to San Buenaventura, finishing its construction in 1742.

The area grew to become an architectural complex, which includes not only the Temple of San Buenaventura, but also the Temple of the Tercera Orden, dedicated to San Antonio de Pádua, and adjoins the Gugorrones canal.

The Convent of San Francisco has become one of the most emblematic buildings of the city. It has three altars, the largest dedicated to the effigy of San Buenaventura, another to the Purísima Concepción and the third one to the Señor de las Tres Caidas, which is said, that it is a wooden sculpture with mechanism that allowed it to move.

During the time of the Laws of Reform, the convent was evicted and lost it's roof, so it was practically in ruins. Decades later, it was rebuilt to reach its current appearance. In the garden of the museum there is a statue of St. Francis of Assisi, to which the faithful ascribe miraculous qualities.
 
Location. 20° 12.938′ N, 100° 53.022′ W. Marker is in Salvatierra, Guanajuato, in Municipality of Salvatierra. Marker is at the intersection of Calle J. M. Morelos Antigua and Calle Francisco I. Madero, on the left when traveling north on Calle J. M.
The statue of Saint Francis at the Church and Former Convent of San Buenaventura image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 5, 2018
4. The statue of Saint Francis at the Church and Former Convent of San Buenaventura
Morelos Antigua. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salvatierra, Guanajuato 38900, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Federico Escobedo Tinoco (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Portal Juárez (about 240 meters away); Cardinal Juan Jesús Posadas Ocampo (about 240 meters away); 175th Anniversary of the Beginning of Mexican Independence (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Diocesan Shrine of Nuestra Señora de La Luz (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Bridge of Batanes (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); The Battle of the Bridge of Batan (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); José de Jesús del Valle (approx. 4.1 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salvatierra.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial EraMan-Made Features
 
Church and Former Convent of San Buenaventura image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 5, 2018
5. Church and Former Convent of San Buenaventura
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 17, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement