Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Sutler's Store
At the height of activity at Fort Martin Scott, the post accommodated up to three hundred soldiers. Of the fortís twenty buildings, the sutlerís store was among the most important to the soldiers. The sutler was a civilian merchant, licensed by the Army to sell goods at the fort.
With a limited stock of food supplies, a soldierís diet was often bland and boring. It consisted mainly of what the sutler could provide, or what the soldiers could grow in the fortís garden. The sutler typically stocked his store with such basics as ham, bacon, coffee, flower for bread or hardtack, salt, vinegar, molasses, tobacco, sugar, beans, eggs, and on rare occasions, fresh butter and beef, chicken or deer from local hunters.
The sutlerís store served as a local gathering spot on an otherwise unexciting frontier post. Soldiers gathered on the sutlerís front porch to trade gossip and spread rumors. Frequently, local Indians traded animal hides or bear grease for other goods. Bear grease was an important commodity as it was used for lamp oil, cooking, and greasing wagon wheels. The sutler also sold uniform items to soldiers, including boots, socks, trousers, shirts and hats.
Location. 30° 14.962′ N, 98° 50.723′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg Touch for map. Marker is located within the Fort Martin Scott parade grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1606 E Main St, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Guardhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Uncovering the Past (within shouting distance of this marker); The Braeutigam Family (within shouting distance of this marker); The Natural Setting (within shouting distance of this marker); Peace with the Indians (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town and the Fort (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Barracks (about 300 feet away); The Comanche Indians (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
More about this marker. Fort Martin Scott is a restored United States Army outpost in Fredericksburg, Texas, that was active from 1848 until 1853. It was part of a line of frontier forts established to protect travelers and settlers within Texas. This marker is somewhat weathered and difficult to read.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Fort Martin Scott
Also see . . . Fort Martin Scott, Texas. Initially called Camp Houston, the post was one of the first federal forts on the frontier of Texas. Established in December 1848 by Captain Seth Eastman and two companies of infantry, the post is located two miles southeast of Fredericksburg on Barons Creek. Its objective was to protect travelers and settlers along the Fredericksburg-San Antonio Road from Indian attacks. The Fredericksburg Heritage Federation has developed the site into a park and reconstructed several of the buildings including the post commanderís quarters, six buildings of officersí housing, sutlerís store and warehouse, laundry, bakery, hospital, three barracks, quartermasterís warehouse, a stable with barn, and a blacksmith shop. (Submitted on June 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.