Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This stone building, with walls eighteen inches thick, is the only original structure of Fort Martin Scott. It was built in 1849 out of native limestone, and served as the postís guardhouse where soldiers were jailed for crimes and misbehavior.
Army discipline was strict and punishment for infractions was severe. In one court martial case, Private W. Walters was charged with desertion of his post. He was found guilty and sentenced to fifty lashes with a rawhide whip on his bare back, hard labor while tethered to a ball and chain, and suffered forfeiture of pay and allowances for six months. Another enlisted man, Private E. Hughes, was found guilty of habitual drunkenness. As punishment, he forfeited all pay, was branded with a two-inch letter “D” on his right hip, (thieves received a “T”), and was drummed out of the service.
Punishment differed dramatically between enlisted men and officers. Captain W. Saunders was charged with embezzlement of public funds and threatening a sergeant. He was found guilty of the latter charge and was only suspended from rank and command for two months and publicly reprimanded.
Other punishments included fines, reductions in rank, hanging by the thumbs, wearing the barrel, dishonorable discharge, and confinement in the guardhouse.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located within the Fort Martin Scott parade grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1606 E Main St, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Braeutigam Family (a few steps from this marker); The Sutler's Store (within shouting distance of this marker); The Natural Setting (within shouting distance of this marker); Uncovering the Past (within shouting distance of this marker); Peace with the Indians (within shouting distance of this marker); The Barracks (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Town and the Fort (about 400 feet away); The Comanche Indians (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
More about this marker. Fort Martin Scott is a restored United States Army outpost in Fredericksburg, Texas, that was active from 1848 until 1853. It was part of a line of frontier forts established to protect travelers and settlers within Texas. This marker is somewhat weathered and difficult to read.
Related markers. Click list of markers that are related to this marker. Fort Martin Scott
Also see . . .
1. Fort Martin Scott. The guardhouse, made of cut limestone, is the only surviving building from the original fort, having been restored to its original design in the early 1990s. It was the Braeutigamís homestead. The city of Fredericksburg bought the Fort Martin Scott property from the Braeutigam family. Among other highlights of the fort are the post commanderís quarters (formerly Braeutigam Garden), six buildings of officersí housing, sutlerís store and warehouse, laundry, bakehouse with oven, military hospital, three sets of enlisted menís barracks, quartermasterís warehouse, a stable with barn, and a blacksmith shop. (Submitted on June 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Life on the Texas Frontier: Fort Martin Scott. The camp was laid out like a large, upside down letter "U." Two rows of buildings faced each other over a fifty-yard wide parade ground, approximately 100 yards long. The guardhouse connected the two lines of barracks and "Officers Row." (Submitted on June 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Law Enforcement •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 46 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.