"The Mountain State"- western part of the Commonwealth of Virginia until June 20, 1863. Settled by the Germans and Scotch-Irish. It became a line of defense between the English and French during the French and Indian war, 1754-1763.
Formed in 1799 from Greenbrier. Named for President James Monroe. In this county lived Col. Andrew S. Rowan who, 1898, carried the news of American intervention to General Y Iniguez Garcia, leader of the Cubans.
Erected 2012 by West Virginia Archives & History.
Location. 37° 23.844′ N, 80° 48.05′ W. Marker is in Peterstown, West Virginia, in Monroe County. Marker is on U.S. 219 near 219/Mill st, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Peterstown WV 24963, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Giles County / West Virginia (within shouting distance of this marker in Virginia); Peterstown (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of the Jones Diamond (approx. 0.2 miles away); New River (approx. 2.2 miles away in Virginia); Woods’ Fort
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2018, by Roger Miller of Pulaski, Virginia. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 16, 2018, by Roger Miller of Pulaski, Virginia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.